Feb 15, 2024

How Do I Get a TIN (AFM) in Greece?

The Greek tax identification number, called AFM, is one of the first things you need when you're relocating to Greece. Pronounced 'afimi', the Greek is a nine-digit TIN number that is required to purchase or lease property, secure rental contracts and for opening a bank account.

Without a Greek TIN, you may find some difficulties getting around and doing basic administrative tasks.

Here is our guide to getting your tax identification number or AFM in Greece.

Getting the right paperwork

To obtain the Greek tax ID number or AFM, you would be asked to provide this information to present at the tax office or Greek Consulate:

  • Copy of your passport
  • ⁠Father's name and surname
  • Mother's name and surname
  • ⁠Full home address abroad (outside Greece)
  • Temporary address in Greece (if known)
  • ⁠Foreign tax ID number
  • Mobile phone number
  • An authorization form (in Greek) with your signature

Arranging an appointment

If you prefer to make an AFM application in person which is free of charge, you must go to the nearest tax center in your neighborhood called Eforia. As a general rule, tax centers are open between 7:30am-2:30pm.

It is also recommended to call the tax office of your choosing and arrange an appointment before entering, to ensure that you have an available representative to assist you with obtaining your Greek tax number.

You can also obtain an AFM by going to the Greek Consulate, but keep in mind that it is advisable to call and arrange an appointment.

Please note that it is unlikely that you will successfully obtain an AFM or Greek TIN without a tax representative. This is due to the fact that each consulate or tax office may have varying demands due to potential changes in legislation and could even require for additional paperwork.

Appointing a tax representative

If you're unable to book an appointment at your nearest consulate or tax office, then you must appoint a tax representative. You must have a tax representative if you belong to the tax office of foreign residents. Most Greek Consulates and tax offices will ask for it.

Why you need a tax representative

When it comes to obtaining an AFM, a tax representative comes in handy for correspondence purposes, especially if you're a Digital Nomad Visa or Golden Visa holder. Appointing a tax representative is useful as the person in charge can receive notifications electronically rather than through mail, about any important legislation changes regarding permit or visa holders in Greece.

Another reason why you would need a tax representative is to open an account on TaxisNet, an official government website needed for all individuals living and working in Greece. With a tax rep, you will obtain your TaxisNet credentials including your own username and password, which you will use to log in and submit a declaration to acknowledge your presence in Greece as an official tax resident.

Additionally, a tax representative will assist you in preparing an authorization form written in Greek with your details, and this is a document that you must present to the Greek Consulate or tax office to have it stamped with your signature.

If any issues arise regarding miscommunications or problems at the consulate, which are unforeseeable, having a tax representative is beneficial who can act on your behalf and bring actionable solutions.

Getting a Greek TIN from abroad

To get your AFM or Greek tax ID number, you do not have to physically be in Greece nor an official Greek resident for this procedure.

If your sole purpose is to purchase property or other assets in Greece within a short period of time, you do not need a residency permit to obtain your AFM.

As mentioned previously, if you appoint a tax representative, they can process the TIN application on your behalf by sending them the appropriate documents via email, and send you a Greek authorization form that you need to bring to the Greek consulate of your country or city and have it stamped with your signature.

Expected time of arrival (ETA) for an AFM number

Getting a TIN or AFM number should not take more than 2-3 business days to process after receiving all of the correct paperwork. By taking into account the time it takes to arrange an appointment, send your documents to your tax representative or Power of Attorney (POA), and make a visit to the Greek consulate of your country, the whole process can take up to a week.

For Spouses

For married couples who would like to obtain their Greek TIN or AFM numbers, they must declare their marriage by showing their wedding certificate to have an apostille stamp, and have it translated in Greek and notarized.

Contact Us

If you need a tax representative to perform all of these tasks for you, you can contact us by booking a consultation call for any additional information or simply sending an email to info@mygreekexpatjourney.com.

Or, you can directly perform a checkout by visiting this page and placing an order to process your AFM within 7 days or less.

No items found.

Related Articles

No items found.